FROM 2-2. Equator-Dutch Harbor

5330.50 17050.38 Examiner 1, McQ 1

The story continues – after our morning sked with our friend in Dutch, we went out to put in the second reef – wind then about 15, right up the clacker, sea building so boat snaking a bit, poled out headsail, all cool but precautionary in view of forecast. We roll in the heady and bring the boat up a bit – Whitters to the mast, preventer off and the boat gybes. McQ sees it coming, ducks but still collects solid glancing blow on side of head. Conscious, in pain, cross (angry!) with herself. W secures boat, checks for bleeding, lucidity, no vomiting, pupils ok. Prognosis good, but rather her than me. Kept her up talking for an hour – she knows it’s wednesday (it is here!), can focus on cryptic clues and do the simple maths that my cheesebrain can cope with. Then sent her to bed with hottie, woke her 2 hours later, signs still good so allowed her a nurofen. She wants to get up, is embarrassed, doesn’t want her friends to know but I’ve put foot down. Alerted friends in Dutch, just in case, and checked Nikolski as potential safe haven if needed. Don’t worry, Pam, she’s sore but ok. Will have blue ribbon bruise tomoz.

Meantime, wind now 20+ dead astern, 6-7ft short breaking seas – dropped main, just sailing with poled out heady, still doing 5.5 – 6 kts. Berri will go like this for ever – loves it, kevvo driving, so snug, estimating dutch around 1800 tomoz. Times like this, a bloke needs a G&T.; And a second forestay to twin pole. Those were the days. Will be light till midnight, then again around 0630. I’ll get some short naps and keep her as flat out as seems safe. Forecast wind due to abate tomoz.

Leif – top fitting angled T piece to wire, all dimensions to follow by separate mail from David. If you can match the threaded pin at the bottom, we can use the old turnbuckles. Will need 2 copies please – no point in taking chances with the second one. Anyway, I’ll call you and send you the complete shroud with all fittings as far as chainplate as soon as I can. Please send details for courier. We should be in dutch for at least 10 days, but would have to wait for you.

Carla – yay, another tin can to add to the concatenation. Sadly, we haven’t seen the sky or anything much above 500 ft since Gareloi so no chance of seeing the thing – thanks Matt, anyway. Carla, tks for webcam, Where is it so we can wave? It probably updates only once every few minutes, so you might not see us…

Great to hear from everyone else – will do my best to keep y’all posted as we approach.

Comments are closed.